Blog

Keep up to date with all the latest news in the industry here

Health and Safety Risks from Heaters

15 April 2013
By Coleman Levin
No Fire Sign

 

Heaters are like cars, they need to be looked after and regularly serviced in order to keep them in good condition and safe. There are a number of possible health problems associated with gas heaters, a major one being carbon monoxide poisoning, which is lethal to your health and can even cause death. Carbon monoxide is colourless and odourless, so it is vital that you have your heater regularly checked by a professional.

When to get your heater serviced
Regular servicing and a co2 check is very important, at Colbycool we perform these procedures in a single callout. You should have your heater serviced:

- Immediately if there are any problems or signs of trouble with your heater
- Every two years at least before the winter season, more frequently if recommended by manufacturer

Signs of carbon monoxide poisoning
Carbon monoxide poisoning is very dangerous and in extreme cases can even lead to death. Some of the symptoms associated with this are:

- Tiredness
- Shortness of breath
- Weakness
- Dizziness
- Headaches
- Nausea
- Confusion
- Chest pain

Many of these symptoms can be mistaken for other illness and the carbon monoxide problem will go unnoticed. It is extremely important however to nip this issue in the bud; high levels of carbon monoxide may cause people to pass out or even die. If you suspect that you have been affected by carbon monoxide, turn off your heater, open windows and doors and go outside for fresh air. Be sure to see a doctor and ask whether your symptoms could be related to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Old Heaters
If your heater is 15-20 years old, it might be worth getting it replaced. Some heaters cannot be repaired and sometimes spare parts are unavailable for older heaters. Old heaters can also be a disaster waiting to happen, being at greater risk of causing a fire.

Fire Hazard
Every winter brings along with it devastating stories of house fires caused by heaters, however this can easily be prevented with regular servicing. Dust builds up in heaters and when it is left on for a period of time the dust can ignite and cause a major problem. Faults within a neglected heating unit can also cause fire or even a small explosion of the capacitor.

Before winter's official start make sure you have your heater serviced and tested for co2 to ensure safety for you and your loved ones.

If you would like to book a service with Colbycool, please call us on 03 9796 1444

Comments

Post has no comments.

Post a Comment

Captcha Image