Keep up to date with all the latest news in the industry here

Unit block fire in Carnegie caused by portable heater

10 April 2013
By Coleman Levin
Unit fire in carnegie

Dozens of people have been evacuated from a unit block in Carnegie this morning, one person being hospitalised due to a fire caused by a portable heater.

It is believed that the fire was caused by the heater being left too close to bedding. A man aged in his 20s fled his building when his home caught on fire, also forcing the remaining 14 units to evacuate with the risk of the flames spreading through the block.

At 3am fire crews arrived at the scene, saving a couple trapped amongst fire and smoke on the balcony of their unit. A ladder was used to rescue the couple whilst the fire fighters wore a breathing apparatus. The couple were fortunately uninjured. 25 firefighters looked through the remaining units to ensure that there was no one trapped in the fire.

A man aged in his 20s and a woman aged in his 30s were treated by paramedics for smoke inhalation. The man was send to The Alfred hospital in a stable condition, whereas the woman was treated on the scene.

Residents of the unit block were forced to find other accommodation for the time being as the power was cut from the entire building.

Unit Fire in Carnegie

Unit Fire in Carnegie

Keep your home safe with regular air conditioner maintenance. Give us a call at 03 9796 1444 for a scheduled heater service.


Post has no comments.

Post a Comment

Captcha Image